Sunday, December 12, 2010

IFFK 2010 – Day 3. A Busy Day, But Good Films

It has been a busy day in which I saw four films. In the end I felt I have been punch-drunk with movies.  Here are my impressions about the movies.

The Adopted Son

First I saw Beshkempir, The Adopted Son, which is a film from Kyrgyzstan, directed by Aktan Abdikalikow. I had read some good reviews about the film from the internet. But I never imagined that it would be such a remarkably good film. It portrays the childhood of an adopted son in a rustic village in Kyrgyzstan. For us, who have grown up watching Pather Paanchali, the atmosphere of the film looks pretty familiar. The difference between this and Indian neorealist is the delightful portrayal of the mischief-filled childhood of the protagonist.

Certified Copy

Next I watched the one of the most eagerly awaited films of this festival, Certified Copy, by the renowned Iranian filmmaker Abbas Kiarostami. Iranian filmmakers have been enjoying special attention in IFFK, right from its start. But this film from Koarostami is a disappointment. It was not a boring film. I expected much better from the Iranian virtuoso. The film unfolds through the conversation between a man and a woman; both are art experts. The conversation starts from the originality in art, then soon drifts to love, marriage troubles, and philosophy. Soon, we find out that they are actually husband and wife. You feel more like reading a novel or an article that watching a movie.

After that I watched two more films in the afternoon: Optical Illusions, a Competition Section film from Chile, directed by Cristian Jimenez, and Just Between Us, a Croatian film directed by Rajko Grlic. Both the films dealt delightfully with unusual subjects. Optical Illusions shows us why the urge for change is an optical illusion. Just Between Us is a celebration of unfaithfulness and sexual desires. 

No comments: