Sunday, December 10, 2006

IFFK Day-3 Afternoon

Cache: Lost In Climax

I have seen the film Cache. Frankly, the climax of the film left me wondering whether I should go back to some film theory classes. I am unable to figure out the meaning of the climax. Nevertheless, it was not an out and out abstract stuff. I followed the film nicely until the climax. In fact I had been thinking what a fine movie it was. But then the climax came. I don't know. I must have missed something somewhere in the movie. The movie primarily deals with the fear cuased by a guilty complex in the mind of the protagonist, who is a TV programme anchor. One day he got a video cassette showing the recording of his house, clearly implying he had been watched. He started suspecting a person who, he thought, had an old grudge against him. But things go from bad to worse. Later the suspect commits suicide by slitting his own throat in a stunning scene. And then came the climax!!! (Some of my friends, who also did not understand the last scene, are of the opinion that one need not understand the climax. Climax is the director's full stop. But unlike that in literature, in films it can be a colon, semicolon, a dash or even a comma. It is up to the viewer to interpret the climax in a meaningful way.) Anyway, I will try to arrive at interpretation pretty soon.

Next, I will watch either Pulijanmam or Whispering Of The Gods. Probably the day started with a scream (through Scream Of The Ants). Perhaps I may finish it with a whisper. Everything depends on the availability of seats.

No comments: